Pork Picnic Shoulder, Skin on, Bone In

Well, it is the most famous BBQ day of the year. July 4th.

I decided I am going to smoke a picnic shoulder, skin on, bone in. This is going to take 12h. 
The plan:
Start marinating Wednesday night and start smoking Fri morning....
Wed night:
2 large onions chopped in slices and 4 bottles of  German Urbock with smoke flavor, yes smoke flavor.
Into a big bowl they go, cut a diamond pattern into the skin of the pork shoulder.
Only spice it with some pepper. No salt for now, and all goes into the fridge



Because the meat was not fully covered, I added to big cans of Foster Premium.

Friday morning comes around, I wake up and it is raining. Not just a little bit, it is pouring.
A pellet smoker needs electricity... I guess it it is still raining at 10am, I will have to move the smoking day. I ended up moving the smoking day. In the meantime I took the meat out of the marinade, wrapped it tightly with plastic wrap and back into the fridge.
Friday morning:
8:30am: unwrap the shoulder, spice with some salt and pepper and Bayou spice mix
9am: start the smoker
11am:

1pm:
At around 8pm I started to make mashed potatoes with garlic. They ended up on the smoker for 30min as well to keep them warm.
9pm

 9:15pm dinner:
Summary:
Some parts ended up a little dry. I have review the smoking process. It also needed some more spices.

-Mahlzeit-















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark