Boneless Leg of Lamb Done 2 Ways (1 home run, 1 let down)

In a Facebook room I picked up a great inspiration how to smoke lamb. For good smoking, actually cooking in general it is important to have the same size for the ingredients. Think about a steak. You want the same thinkness everywhere, so the steak is medium rare everywhere. Same applies for smoking.
A boneless leg of lamb has some damage, where there bone was removed. I decided to take that flap off. No matter how I tried to get it back into a decent shape, it didn't work.... Turned out to be a good decision.
Now I have 2 pieces of meat. 

The spice mix:
5 cloves of garlic minced, if they are small, use more
2 sprigs of fresh or frozen rosemary stripped of the stem and chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 sprigs of fresh or frozen stripped of the stem
5 tsp of olive oil (you can use more)
2 tsp of Texas BBQ seasoning, 

Most of the time, the boneless leg comes in a net. I removed it to cut off the extra meat and then put it back on. I also used kitchen twine to bind it length wise, to prevent the one end from drying out.

Cover the meat generously with the spice mixture.  (1. version), put on the smoker at 250F until the inner temperature hits 140F...For me it was a tiny bit to undercooked. I think next time I will let it go to 150F. |
Way 2, use the same spice mix, heat up veggie oil in a pot, over medium high heat. Add the a extra piece of meat and sear hard from all sides. 

Add 1 bay leave, and a 1/4 cup of water, turn the heat down to low, cover and cook for 1-1.5h. At the end of the cooking process, thicken the sauce to your liking. Serve with potato and a side salad. I had tomato/cucumber/onion salad. One of my staples.

Home run.
I have to work on the smoked version a bit, that is why I don't give more detils.
-Mahlzeit-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark