How to make Lachsschinken

The process is shown here: Home Made Air Dried Schinken. Siby, thanks for the great idea and instructions. I am making this the second time.
One needs a high quality pork tender loin, lots of sugar and salt and even more time. This process takes about 2 weeks. 
I did cut mine in 2 parts so they fit nicely into the glass container. I also trimmed a bit from the fat.
In a glass bowl cover the bottom with white granulated sugar. Add the tender loins, leave a little room between them and the container walls. Cover them fully with sugar.
Cover the container and into the fridge for 2 days.
Wait for 2 days, but check after 24. There will be a lot of liquid.
Just add some more sugar.
After day 2, remove it from the fridge, wash off all the sugar, clean the bowl and dry it very well.
The meat should have now a skin on the outside and smell good. 
Add a layer of salt to the bottom of the bowl, so it is good covered. Add the meat, cover with salt. Make sure the meat does not touch each other or the wall. I added some Juniper berries and bay leaves. Cover and back into the fridge for 2 days. 
Now I got really busy and didn't get back to this until 4 days later. This is not a big deal. Remove the meat, wash it, pad dry it with paper towels. Now it needs to be air dried. If you have a cold room somewhere, get an old pair of panties, put one piece in each leg and hang it for 2 days. The only really cold room I have for a few days is my garage. The garage has other smells depending on what is stored there. I don't want them attaching to my meat. So this is not an option. I exchanged a few emails with Siby (she posted the video) and she said, just hang it in the fridge. Done.
Now we wait 7 days.
I couldn't wait anymore. Day 5 and I had to look. Success.
Those small little dots are little salt crystals. Looks like I didn't rinse enough when removing from the salt. Oh well. It still tastes great.
-Mahlzeit-
 






 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark