Crunchy Waffles from my Childhood

My mom made a lot of waffles during my child hood. My mom made the dough and my dad was the one working the waffle iron. 
The original recipe is to much just for me, so I did cut all in half and changed it bit to make it work with standard US quantities

  • 1 stick of soft butter (don't use Kerry Gold, use a domestic real butter product) 
  • 2 eggs
  • 250g all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup of milk (1/8 l)
  • 1/2 cup of water (1/8 l)
  • 125g sugar
  • a generous tsp of baking powder
  • 1 pack of vanilla sugar
  • 1/2 tsp of lemon extract
Mix the vanilla sugar into the sugar. Combine the milk with the water.
In a stand mixer use the wire whip. Add the butter and mix it up, add 1 egg and half of the sugar, mix it and add the second egg and the rest of the sugar. Mix it. Add the lemon extract and mix.
Divide the flower into 3 portions virtually. add 1/3 of the flour. Put the mixer on low and mix. Add 1/3 of the milk/water mix again. Repeat that with for the second third of the flour and liquid. Mix the baking powder into the remaining flour. Add the remaining flour and liquid and mix.

Now stick your finger into the dough and check if it is sweet/lemony enough. I added another 1/2 tsp of lemon extract and about 3/4 tsp of vanilla extract as well as 1 tsp of sugar. And mix again. Some of the lemon extract ended up hitting sugar crystals. I ended up with little bursts with lemon flavor in the waffle.

I ended up also adding a little less then 1/2 cup of water to get the desired l liquidity of the dough. It should not be watery, but not as stiff as a normal cake butter would be. When purring it to the waffle iron, it should be able to run.

I still have my waffle iron from Germany. And I have a voltage converter for it, because it goes with 220V,
I just select the degree of color and  then it tells me, when a waffle is done.

I love my waffles sprinkled with powder sugar. But any jam, maple sirup or just plane are equally as tasty. 
As you can see, I couldn't even wait for a picture or adding powder sugar...
-Mahlzeit-









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

Home made Crème Fraîche with Cowboy Steak

No Knead Easy Bread