My Made Up Bread

I was going through different websites again today. I had some sourdough that really needed to be used. The volume got to big for the jar.
I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool and just make something up. I have not baked many breads so far.

So here we go:
200g sour dough starter
200g all purpose flower (not self rising)
200g strong whole wheat flower (14.7)
1 cup of water  hand warm
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dry active yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp balsamic (yes balsamic, yes that is vinegar)

In a bowl mix the 2 flowers and the salt.
Bring the water to hand warm temperature, add the dry yeast and the sugar and stir. It should all dissolve
Put all of the ingredients into a bowl for a stand mixer. With a dough hook mix them all on low speed, Once the dough curls up to a ball around the hook, we need to get to hand kneading. Turn off the stand mixer, remove the dough and keep kneading it for 10 min on a well flowered surface.

Spray a bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Form a ball and put it into a bowl. Let it stand for 3h on a warm place.
It needs to at least double in size.
Then take it out, form it into another ball and put it into a proofing basked. My basket is a basket I had at hand. I covered it with a clean kitchen towel and flowered it.
Add some flower on the top and cover it with the other half of the towel. Let it sit at a warm place for another hour. Turns out my office is actually the warmest place in the house.
After 45m pre-heat the oven to 480F. I also add a big bowl of water during the pre-heating almost full of water.
Turn a baking sheet up-side-down, put the bread on top of it, spray some water onto the bread and to generate some steam. Close the door. After 20m turn down the heat to 450F. If you don't like it that crunchy, remove the water bowl.
Watch the color of the bread. I ended up baking it for another 45 minutes.

-Yummy, yummy in my tummy, just with some butter and salt. And that crust is to die for. It is really really crunchy.

Lessons learned for bread baking (this does not apply to cake etc baking).
If a recipe calls for some really odd number of something, don't sweat it. Round it to something you are comfy with. I basically made this thing up. There is a similar recipe on the internet, the ratio's are very different and it calls for honey. Hm, may be one day I will add honey while baking bread. Not today.
I already had 3 big slices. I am looking forward to breakfast.
-Mahlzeit-







Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark