Smoked Chuck Roast

Can you believe it? I went to 3 stores and none of them had a brisket...Ok, then chuck roast it is.
Doing homework how to make it on Saturday.
The idea for the spice mix is from Beef dry rub. Of course I don't have everything on hand these days. I am missing cayenne, so I added in 1tsp of no salt Texas mix. It has bit of kick to it, but nothing that would over power the beef. I also reduced the amount of salt called for.
I seasoned it, put it into container to work magic over night in the fridge.

Ohh does this smell good.
Wood pellets: Hickory
The plan: 220 with extra smoke until internal temp is 185F
Start 10:18am


after 3h I start basting every 30-45 minutes with some beef stock
After 7h the internal temperature is 155. This calls for a change of plans.
No more extra smoke, bump up the temperature to 260. Another hour and we are done.
After about 8 hours I am at 180F. I am going to skip the last 5 degrees.


Served with potato and sour creme.
It did taste nice, but a bit on the salty side.
The meat was a bit chewy for parts.
Notes to self:
On any spice mix, cut the amount of salt at least by 1/2. No wonder there are so many people with high blood pressure.
May be a 165F internal temperature is enough or one needs to go all the way to 210F.
-Mahlzeit-








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark