Pork and Beef Stew with Tomato and Red Wine

It is Christmas and I didn't want to go for the standard potato salad and wieners on Christmas Eve and the duck on Christmas day.
I decided on a beef and pork stew. I just posted a few days ago on my Hungarian  version of a beef stew. This is a bit different. I was planning to use some peppers here  as well, but then forgot to take them out of the fridge and then of course forgot about it. I don't plan cooking upfront. I go by what comes to mind.
Ok, that requires me to write down what I used, so I can write here.

This time I go with:


2023-12-23-01

Not on the picture:
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tsp of tomato paste
  • 3 tbsp of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of red wine
  • 1 tsp of smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp of ground paprika
  • 1 tsp of ground Allspice
  • 1/2 tsp of thyme
  • 2 tsp of margarine
  • 4 cups of water
In a pot, melt the margarine and add the onions over medium heat. Let them get translucent. Add the meat (I actually counted the pieces. it was 12 pieces each. I just didn't want to have so much left over.)
When the meat is seared, add the tomato paste, let sear a bit more. Stay with it to not burn it.
Then add all the remaining things, bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer it. Simmer for about 1.5h. I have an alarm for every 20 minutes to check, that there is enough liquid. It is supposed to cover and not to thick. Add some more water if it does not do it.
2023-12-23-02

This is what you want it to look like. To see if you are done, just pull a piece of meat and try it. Add some more time if it is not fall off the bone.
To thicken it, I added some more tomato paste and let it cook for another 15 minutes. Once can also use a starch dissolved in water.
Serve with noodles, potatoes or dumplings.
I went with dumplings. The recipe will come at a later point in time.
2023-12-23-03

-Mahlzeit-









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark