How Not to Make a Lentil Soup

I am a big lentil soup junkie. I am finally getting better from that bad cold, I couldn't think of anything better then a lentil soup. May be this time I can change it up a bit more. The fridge still hat a pack of sausages. I had gotten some bacon last weekend and the rest like carrots, celery, onions, potatoes I always have at home.

Here we go:
  • 2 slices of bacon cut into small pieces
  • 1 pack of sausages, sliced into pieces 
  • 1/2 cup of bite size celery chunks
  • 1/2 cup of bite size carrot chunks
  • 1/3 cup of coarsely chopped onions
  • 2/3 cup of brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
  • 3 medium sized potatoes cut into bite sized pieces (peeled or not, what ever you prefer)
  • 1 std can of diced potatoes
  • 1 std can tomato soup
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp of ground Allspice
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2-3 cups of water
  • salt and pepper to taste
Here is a picture of the sausages I bought:
2024-09-28-01

Hm, I didn't realize I bought plant based sausages. Note to self, pay attention to what you buy.
Well at least I can try. 

Heat up 1 tbsp of veggie or olive oil, add the bacon (or not for a veggie version). Add the onions, carrots, celery and sausages. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. 
Add all the remaining things, bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes. Check and stir every now and then, so there is still enough liquid and things don't burn at the bottom.
When the potatoes and the lentils are done, turn off the heat and serve.
2024-09-28-02

It looks great, but the sausage really is a big downturn.
The consistency looks like sausage but is just mush. It is cooling down now. Tomorrow I will pick out those wanna be sausage pieces and replace it with something else. The details I figure out tomorrow.
Otherwise I liked the combination of tomato and lentils.
 
Update: 
I ended up picking through the soup and pulling out all of those plant based sausage pieces. In a pan I added a bit of oil and roasted a pack of kosher sausage slices and dropped them into the lentil soup. 2 more cups of water with 2 tsp of Knorr tomato bullion and 10 minutes simmer put that soup back on a track to be something yummy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark