Hickory Smoked BBQ Duck with Potato Dumplings and Red Cabbage

4.July is the BBQ day in the states. I didn't want to make steak. So I decided on a duck.
We start of with making a brine. Desolve 3/4 cup of kosher salt and 1 cup of brown sugar in 1 gallon of water. Take the duck out of the freezeer. Remove the plastick wrapper and put it into the brine. Make sure it is fully submerged. Let it defrost over night.
The next day remove the duck. Cut it in half so it can lay flat on the BBQ. Prepare the hickory chips for the BBQ per the manufacturers instructions.
Keep in mind the dripping duck fat can ignite into flames. That happened to me. So be prepared to deal with that.
Put the duck skin side down onto the rost and let it BBQ in the smoke. Then turn off the heat. Remove the duck into a roasting pan skin side up and finish it up in the oven. Every 15 minutes baste it with your favorite BBQ sauce. I used  BBQ sauce and marinade produced locally in Charleston, SC. Depending on the size, my duck was done after 90 min in the oven.
As sides serve red cabbage and potato dumplings.
-Mahlzeit-
Update 7/31
My BBQ had a tray between the gas heat element for burning wood chips and the wire rack for the food. I ended up with a couple of real holes in that tray. Now the BBQ does not have a grease trap, so I decide to end of life that baby... Watch for the ribs story coming next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark