Plain Old Lentil Soup

Somebody posted a picture of lentil soup on FB. Growing up I loved lentil soup. Time to make one.

3 carrots cleaned and cut
1 pack of Eckrich Sausage cut into slices
4 stripes 5 mm wide of salt cured bacon fat
I pack of brown lentils, rinsed and cleaned
6 potatoes cut into 1/2" pieces
1 tetra pack of chicken stock low sodium
6 cups of water
4 tsp of Knorr Chicken Bullion
1 tbsp veggie oil
1 large onion coarsely chopped
2 bay leaves
8 allspice kernels (or 1/4 tsp ground all spice)
1/4 tsp of dried thyme

I don't like that much salt on everything, so I removed almost all the salt from the bacon and cut it into small 5 mm x 5 mm pieces. 
In a stock pot add the veggie oil, onions, bacon, sausage. Over medium high heat cook everything until the onions are translucent. 
Add all of the remaining things, bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to simmer for about 30-40 min. Check the lentils and potatoes if they are done to your liking.
I like to add a bit of vinegar to my bowl of lentil soup.
-Mahlzeit-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark