Exploring Smoking

 I decided to expand the list of topics here.

Going forward I will also write about products I tried and things that I try. So far I have only written about what worked for me.

So here we go.

For 2 years I argue with myself, if I should get a smoker or not and then which one to get. I think I resolved question 1, I want a smoker. Coming to a conclusion what I get exactly is a very different story.

I ordered a smoking tube off the internet. With cleaning it did cost me about 17$. 
Now can I turn my broken Grill into a smoker with this? Nope. At best it for cold smoking.
Let's start at the beginning.

I bought a bag of wood pellets, a mix of cherry and others which are supposed to be nice flavors for fish. 
I filled the tube with the pellets and now I need to light them. I have an emergency gas lighter, but that one didn't work that well. The flame just didn't stay on long enough. Ok, somewhere I have matches, where there wood is actually 20cm (a little less than 8") long. They do the job. I inserted a half of the match in the pellet filled tube so it can transport heat. (you can see the matches I used....lol...)
Ok it smokes:

Next step: add the salmon


Ok, may be that is not what I want...

Some time later:


Finishing it up:

Over all: the tube by itself does not work for smoking.  To make sure I put the salmon in the oven at 400F for 20 min.



Taste: hm, I am not sure that the mix pellets are what I want. 
One lives and learns.
So here is what I learned: 
The smoke tube does not help. It was not a waste of money either.... See  here: I guess a smoker is not quite a smoker yet....lol....

The experiments continue.... Stay tuned








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark