Garlicky Prime Ribs

Last weekend I picked up a piece of prime rib 2 bones thick.  To get a feel for how to make it, I decided today is the day to try.

The rub:
  • Olive oil
  • 1 sprig of rosemary (the length of what you can span your thumb and point finger), needles chopped
  • 1 tsp of fresh thyme (I used frozen fresh thyme)
  • 3 cloves of garlic smashed
  • Himalayan salt (sea or kosher salt works as well)
  • fresh ground pepper
I took the meat out of the fridge this morning to come up to room temperature. I just left it in the butcher paper on the stove.
Before lunch time preheat the oven to 500F (mine only does 450F, so I added convection).  I salted the meat from all sides generously as well peppered it with fresh ground pepper. All the other thing mix them up in a small bowl and brush them on both sides of the ribs.
I covered a baking sheet in heavy duty aluminum foil, added a rack and placed the ribs on it. I then inserted a meat thermometer, that can be left in during cooking. The pin must be parallel to the bone and should not touch the bone. The readings will be inaccurate it it does.
After 15 min turn the heat down to 325F. Over all my roast was done less than 1h. I let it rest in the stove for 10 minutes and then another 20 min on the counter top. It ended up medium for me. Next time I will reduce the time a bit to get it medium rare.
Check the internet on internal temperature and make sure you can trust your thermometer.
I kept nibbling on it all afternoon. I must be stinking pretty good with that much garlic... Oh well. It is so yummy.
- Mahlzeit-






 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark