Roasted Duck and 2 Meals

When I go to the east end, I am stocking up on a lot of things. Meat, tea (if I am out of it) and some spices. 
So aside from chicken bones I also got a couple of ducks, 2 rabbits as well as pork hearts, frsh noodles.
I really wanted to get 2 different meals out of the duck.
It all starts with roasting on of the ducks. The other one was still frozen, so it went into the freezer right away.
When roasting ducks, I like the combination of a balsamic pomegranate molasses as a baste.
But let's start from the beginning. Ducks from a Chinese store come with the head and the feed attached. They got cut off as well as parts from the from the wings and put into a bag into the freezer for the next duck stock. Salt and pepper from the out and inside. I got myself a new roasting pan. The old one had lost some of the non-stick coating. I didn't want to risk more of this to show up in my food.

In  the bottom of the pan add so much water, so it does not touch the duck. For me that was a almost 1/2 inch. The oven should be at 375F. Preheating is not needed. Every 15-20 minutes, check on the duck. Take some of the liquid from the bottom of the pan and pour it over the duch. if the liquid goes to low, add more. In my case I added almost 4 cups (not all at once please) in 90 minutes.
In a bowl, mix balsamic and the molasses. I eyeball it. It should not be as runny as the vinegar and not be as thick as the molasses. Somewhere in the middle is fine.
With a brush add some of it all over the duck. 1 to 2 more times after 15-20 minutes. Make sure this is not getting to dark. Turn the duck over and do the same thing.
Make sure that is there enough liquid in the bottom. Just add water :).
My duck was done after about 3 hours.
Turn off the heat. Remove the duck from the pan, cut into different pieces. Remove the rack. With a wooden spoon move some liquid to the side of the pan and remove the brown stuck on things. This is where the flavor is. Thicken the sauce

Meal 1:
Very easy, serve with a veggie (e.g. red cabbage) and a starch e.g. potatoes or dumplings.

Meal2:
Another version of duck noodle soup. This time I used duck stock I made from scratch a few weeks ago. Heat the stock, add the duck, add some mushrooms. In a separate pot cook noodles. In my case, I followed the instructions for Lo Mein noodles. To serve I added some hoisin and sriracha sauce.
-Mahlzeit-






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark