From the Old Days: East German Rolls

I wanted to get some real rolls. Crunchy and still having a decent consistency the next day. Not like the soft things one can get here at groceries store, that one can press down to the size of a table tennis ball and when it is released, one does not see anything of the shape it was just in.

The original recipe is from this website . This way to much food for me. OK, I cut everything in half.
  • 500g all purpose flower
  • 200 ml warm water (the finger should still be comfy to stick in)
  • 100 ml milk
  • 1 tsp of dry active yeast
  • 10g salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
Sounds easy. For what ever reason I used the 400ml water from the original recipe. I made up for it by using 3/4 of  a cup of additional flower.

In the bowl of my stand mixer I mix the flower and the salt.
In a pot I heat the water and milk. I use a glas measuring cup for a lot of things. Glas does not react with things. Add the yeast and sugar with 1/4th of the warm liquid, stir to dissolve the sugar and yeast. Let it stand for 5 minutes to let the yeast start to get foamy. 

Turn on the mixer and add the yeast liquid first. Then slowly add the rest of the liquid. Let the mixer run until the dough is smooth. Cover with a towel and let it stand for 1h at a warm spot. It should about double in size.

Add flower to the kitchen counter and remove the dough from the bowl. Form into a roll and cut into sections. I used a 3/4" thickness. Form the cuts into small elongated shapes or any shapes you like.
Cover with a towel and let them rise for 10 minutes.

Use a sharp knife and cut the top once. Cover for 10 minutes again.

Pre heat the oven to 450F, Add a cooking pot with water in the bottom of the oven. The moisture will help to get the crunch.

2023-09-24-1

Bake for 20 minutes. I added another 10 minutes to get some color. Next time I add convection to it.
2023-09-24-2

Ohhh, are they yummy. Just like when I grew up. Forget the store things....
-Mahlzeit-




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark