Rabbit - A la Mama with Potato Dumplings

I was at my favorite Asian store again. I had to get some rabbit.  1 went into the freezer and one was defrosted. After that duck disaster I also got a myself a duck.  The good thing in this store is, they are frozen, but the plastic is see through. So if all is white (they have those as well) it is the fatty version. If there is some shine through with red = one can see the meat.

The plan: 
  • Rabbit à  la Mama
  • Potato dumplings à la Cornelia's Mama
  • short cut red cabbage from a jar
Rabbit
Defrost the rabbit and pad dry. Cut into 5 pieces, season with salt and pepper and coat with yellow mustard.
2023-09-10-1

Cut 2 slices of bacon into stripes and render them in a Dutch Oven. Add the pieces of rabbit and let them get some color.
2023-09-10-2

Deglace with 1/2 cup of white wine. Then add 2 cups of water. Cover and let it simmer over slow heat. Check on the liquid level. Add some water in case it is needed. Preheat the oven to 375F. After like 40 minutes uncover and put it into the oven. Again check on the liquid. There should be always a Thumb thick level of water.
2023-09-10-3

After about 2h the rabbit should be done. Remove the meat and scrape the brown parts from the side with cooking liquid. It will enhance the flavor or the sauce. 
To make the sauce, I take the cooking liquid and bring it to rapid boil in a small pot. I add 1 cup of butter milk, 1 tsp of butter, and some corn starch to bind. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Red cabbage
I was lazy: open the jar and put into a small pot, add some water and 3 whole cloves. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes and then that is it.

Potato dumplings
Bring a big pot of water to boil. Add some salt to it. 
The original recipe is from Cornelia's mom. I am using the ingredients from her, but my own ratio.
The day before I cooked 5 russet potatoes (peeled). Of course I didn't need all of them for dinner. 
The rest went into the fridge over night. At lunch time I pressed all the potatoes through a potato ricer.  Think it was the amount of 4 russet potato's. Add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of potato starch and 2 heaping tbsp semolina. I like to have some nutmeg as well, but be careful. Nutmeg can easy overpower things. With the hands knead all together and form tennis ball size balls.

2023-09-10-4

When the water boils, turn it down, so it hardly simmers. Add the potato balls to the water. They will fall down to the bottom. Stir the water a bit, so they don't stick. Once start rising to the top, I prefer to lets them in the water for about 5-10 more minutes.
2023-09-10-5

Then remove them with a slotted spoon and serve immediately.
Left overs can be heated again in a microwave or with with steam or pan fry. 
-Mahlzeit-

2023-09-10-6


 





 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark