Thick Chicken Bean Tomato Soup

This is based on a recipe I found in a soup book. When I was shopping for the ingredients, I ended up changing it. The rotisserie chicken was so pale in the store, that I was not sure it was even cooked properly. No need to spend money on it, when there are alternatives.
We need
  • 1 tbsp of margarine
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cans of red kidney beans rinsed
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes (or 2 cans of either kind)
  • 2 cans of tomato sauce
  • 1 cup of cooked shredded chicken (see note)
  • 1 tsp of cumin
  • 1 tsp of sweet ground paprika
  • 1/2 tsp of all spice
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • a splash of dried Turmeric
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 tsp of chicken bullion

 
I thought I would need the tomato paste from the picture, but it turned out to be thick enough, there was no need for it.

In a larger pot, melt the margarine add the onions and let them get translucent. Then add all the remaining ingredients. Bring them to a boil, then turn down the heat to simmer for 30 minutes..
Just before it is done add 1/2 cup of buttermilk (optional). It makes it a bit tangy.
This can be served like it is, or with some cilanto added or as a sauce with noodles for example.
-Mahlzeit-

Note :
At the grocery store I got instead 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on and cooked them in the pressure cooker with water, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme and allspice and chicken bullion. 30 minutes later I had a great chicken stock. The meat of 2 of the thighs went into this dish. The other 2 thighs gave a me a nice dinner and lunch with noodles. And 2 cups of the broth are now in the freezer for what ever I come up with next time .

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark