Amerikaner Version 2 with Chocolate Glaze

The original recipe is coming from here: Amerikaner mit Hirschhornsalz. Sorry, this is all in German. Here is the translation and I note, where I changed things.

For the dough we need:
  • 75g butter at room temperature (2.65oz)
  • 175g sugar (6.17 oz)
  • 1 egg at room temperature
  • 3g salt (0.1oz)
  • 15g bakers amonia = salt of hartshorn (0.53oz)
  • 250ml milk  (more then the orginal) (8.45 oz) (keep the milk on the countertop for about 1hour before starting to bake with it)
  • 3 tsbp cold milk
  • 500g sifted all purpose flower (17.64 oz)
  • 1/4 tsp good vanilla extract (my addition)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon extract (my addition)
I recommend to get a good kitchen scale that knows metric and imperial. It should show at least 1 digit after the comma. I bought mine at Williams Sonoma for about 65$ a few years go. Note this is not a recommendation. There are other places where one can get decent scales.
Baker's Ammonia can be bought off Amazon. Note, it has a very strong smell. Follow the storage recommendations of the supplier. The nose shouldn't be directly over the container or the dough. Also when you open the oven, you can still smell it. Keep the nose way when you open

Preheat the oven to 200C or 395 F.

In a mixer e.g. a Kitchen Aid, mix the Sugar, Butter until it is creamy. Add the egg and the salt, mix on 2 for another 1-2 minutes. It should look smooth.
In a small bowl, disolve the baker's ammonia in 3 tbsp cold milk.

Add in 1/3 thirds flower, milk, dissolved baker's ammonia until all is incorporated. Keep mixing on 2.
 
Line the baking sheets with parchment paper. I use a small ice scoop to measure for the cookies.
Keep plenty of space between them. The will expand. 
Bake for 15-20 minutes until they get some color.
Remove them from the oven and put them on a cooling rack.
During the baking process, the 2 trays in the bottom got to dark, so I had to discard them.
The top tray ended up great.

Now the glaze is my invention:
  • 3/4 of a bar of Baker's semi sweet chocolate
  • 2 tsp of butter
  • 4 oz of Cruzan Hurricane Proof (153 proof)
  • 2 heaping spoons of confectioners sugar
  • 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
Melt all of this in a small pot. Stay with it, this should not burn.
In total I only needed glaze for 12 cookies.  Normally the flat side is getting glazed. However I had to take them on a 2h car ride. So I decided to glaze the other side. It makes it easier to transport.
Everyone at the event, I made it, for loved them. That included a trained chef. This meant a lot to me.
- Mahlzeit-








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark