Smoked Salmon

Salmon is for some time on my list to smoke. A friend did send me this video
Yesterday morning the journey began. 
3 got myself 3 filet of salmon, removed the thin ends. 

I mixed 
  • 1 cup of kosher salt 
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of Prague Powder #1
I had to descale the salmon a bit more. I don't know why this can't be done before it gets sold.
In a glass container I put down a  layer of the salt/sugar mixture. Then I added the 3 filets. I left a little bit of room between them, so I can press the salt/sugar mixture down between them. Add all the remaining sugar/salt mix and make sure it is all covered. 
The video talks about adding weight. I did not do that. I simply covered the glass container and into the fridge for 36h it went.

After 36h I removed the salmon. Then I rinsed it with cold water. In a clean glass container, submerge the fillets for 20 min to remove the access salt from the fish. Now it needs to be dried up. On a rack it now goes back  into the fridge for 24h.

Smoke time on Sunday was about 90 min at 200F.
The next time around, I will water it about 45 minutes and see if I can incorporate dill into the preparation.
-Mahlzeit-







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark