Heart Ragout

Growing up, at school we had heart ragout sweet and  sour like every 6 weeks or so. I loved this. The days I have it far less often. The problem is, that I can't get heart in a regular grocery store. The variety of cuts of meets is very limited anyways even if one goes to Whole Foods or Market Fresh which are the higher end fresh produce and meat product stores. It was time to go to my second favorite Asian store again. Wow, the selection of things is not as good anymore either and the prices on some products are up 100-200%. The store usually has a good selection of fish for sashimi. The prices are through the roof for that. That was not in the cards this time.
However I got some heart. In my 30 year old hand written book, I found the original recipe. It is time, I put them on a computer. A lot of the pages are already flying around.
Here we go. In section herzragout, there are no amounts given. This goes all by experience and memory.
Heart Ragout:
  • 1-1.5lbs heart meat, cleaned and cut into cubes not larger than 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2"
  • 1/2 medium onion chopped
  • 1 slice of bacon, shopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 tbsp of margarine
  • 1 tbsp of veggie oil
  • 1 tetra pack of beef broth
  • 1/2 tbsp of flower
  • 3/4 tbsp of vinegar
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 4 bay leaves
In a Dutch Oven add the oil, margarine, and bacon and cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the heart and cook until all of the released liquid is almost gone over a little more then medium heat.
Then add the flower and stir and get some color. Don't leave it alone. The flower binds the remaining liquid. It is going to sizzle fast. The original recipe says to bring the broth to a boil and add. I skipped this and did not see a difference. Add the beef broth, vinegar, allspice, thyme and bay leaves, cover and bring to a boil over less them medium heat. Once it boils, reduce the heat and simmer. You always want 1/2"  of liquid above the meat. Check every 30 minutes for tenderness and liquid levels and stir a bit. Add water if it is not enough. Once it is done thicken the sauce with your favorite sauce binder. Cornstarch and water  will do, I love a commercial sauce binder. 
Season with salt and pepper if needed. The commercial broths usually have already enough salt. I hardly ever add any.
Serve with potatoes or noodles and a side salad. I had left over noodles, so that was my choice. I was to lazy for the side salad.
-Mahlzeit-








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark