Smoked Duck

I thought it was a good idea to try to smoke a duck. I read up on the internet and here is what I came up with. The defrosted duck gets the skin pierced so the rendered fat can drip off. Then I salted it generously from all sides and in an open container it went into the fridge over night. Before I went to bed I turned the bird around and drained the water. 
The next morning I rinsed the bird so that all the salt gets removed. I filled the cavity with an apple and a peeled orange. The outside gets coated with olive oil and a Moroccan  BBQ spice powder. 
The smoker was preheated to 225F. The challenge was a bit to find a spot to get the probe inserted.
After 3.5h the internal temperature was at 160F. The skin was still a little on the light side. So I bumped up the temp to 350F for 15 min. Then I pulled the bird, put it on a plate , wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil and let it rest for 30 min.
In the meantime I finished the sides, potato dumplings and red cabbage. 
Serve with a nice glas of fully body red wine.
-Mahlzeit-
 
P.S. I am not sure I will smoke a duck again this way. This was a pretty fatty bird. So the fat got all warm, but did not much render. The the oven it is prepared at a higher temperature, so the fat really renders. I like that better. The skin was still leathery. I also missed a gravy.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark