How to Fix a Smoked Duck

I think I am reversing my opinion about not smoking a duck again. I came up with the following strategy and that turned out great.
Recap: When I removed the duck from the smoker, I put it on a plate and covered it with heavy duty aluminum  to rest. A lot of the juices ended up on the plate. When it was time to eat, I quartered the duck. 
All the rest ended up in the fridge.
I have a small roasting pan. I think that thing is now about 30 years old. It is German size = a lot smaller then a roasting pan for turkey. 
I preheated the oven to 375F. 2 cups of water into the roasting pan, the remaining duck quaters skin side up into the pan as well as all the solidified fat and liquids. Into the oven it went for 1h.
Every 20 minutes I poured some of the liquid over the duck parts. I had to add another 1/2 cup of water after 40 min, so the fat does not burn.
After 1h I removed all of it. The liquid was made into gravy with a little salt, sauce thickener and half and half. The skin is all crisp and all the fat is rendered.

Note to self: next time you smoke a duck, calculate about  2 additional hours for rest and oven time to get gravy and a crispy skin.
The taste were still all the smoke flavors on the duck. Just textures improved a lot and I had gravy.
-Mahlzeit-


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letscho

No Knead Easy Bread

Potatoes with Butter and Quark